Help me know who reads Western Shore by following with Google Friend Connect or leaving a comment! Thanks!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shorebird Gets in Touch with Her Duck Cousins

I've always enjoyed swimming.  I took swimming lessons for what seems like my entire childhood, either at camp or through my hometown's winter swim lesson program.  When I was a counselor in training at Camp Newfound in 2000, I swam multiple times a day, trying to complete the 100 mile challenge (I didn't get there...stupid lazy younger self!), and participating in several 2-mile "Harrison Swims".  I would have certainly been on the Nashoba High School Swim Team if such a thing existed (I guess they held practices in the third floor pool).


In high school and college, I got certified as a Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor and taught summer camp swimming lessons near my hometown.  I learned how to perfect my strokes and show kids how to do the same.  I did that for 6 years, and then didn't swim at all for 3!


So, I've decided to take full advantage of my fitness center's pool and try to get back in the "swim of things".  I'm going to keep track of how far I swim on the blog so you can see how I'm doing.  Once I work up to a full mile (1800 yards), I'm going to try some more complex workouts I've found on the internet, all of which are 2000 yards in length.  

Wish me luck!  Maybe someday I'll be a real swimmer!  Masters, here I come!

1 comment:

  1. Swimming huh? Great exercise and great therapy for cabin fever. You can almost vision it being summer.

    Can't think of a better exercise for a bird that lives in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

    Oh, by the way -- weren't those Harrison swims also called "Donut Runs"? Swim two miles for a couple of donuts and then swim back. What a concept.

    Would love to hear about the house news. Will try to catch up with you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete